Now’s the time to savor the flavor of fresh fruits and veggies! Even if you don’t grow your own garden, you can enjoy produce fresh from the farm to your table by shopping at local farmers’ markets.
And beginning July 9, the Allegany County “Mountain Fresh” farmers’ market will be at WMHS between 2 pm – 5 pm every Wednesday. Local farmers will set up in the parking garage across from the Medical Arts Center entrance. Employees will be provided with zip lock bags so the produce can be brought into WMHS buildings.
Eating fresh locally grown produce helps YOU:
• Save money – fresh, seasonal foods are less expensive • Save energy – less gas used to move the food • Support local growers – buying at local farmers markets • Be healthy – fresh, seasonal foods are more flavorful, encouraging increased intake of fresh fruits and veggies, which increases your intake of healthy vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that fight disease and promote health
Other local farmers’ markets include:
• Tuesdays: 9:30 am – 2 pm at the Country Club Mall (center court), LaVale
• Thursdays: 10 am – 1 pm at the Downtown Cumberland Pedestrian Mall
• Fridays: 9:30 am – 2 pm at City Place in Frostburg
• Saturdays: 10 am – 1 pm at Canal Place in Cumberland
To find farmers’ markets in your area, visit www.localharvest.org/ or http://search.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/
Here’s a neat map to find out what’s in season in your area:
- Theresa Stahl, RDN, LDN