The grand opening of the Allegany County Farmers Market at WMHS is on Wednesday July 8th and there will be live entertainment from 2:30-4 pm featuring Pan Jammin’ Combo steel drum band and a cooking demo by the WMHS dietitians using the fresh produce that day.
The farmers market will be here between 2 pm – 5 pm every Wednesday through October. Local farmers will set up in the parking garage across from the Medical Arts Center entrance. Employees will be provided with zip lock bags so produce can be brought into WMHS buildings.
Eat local and save:
1. Money – fresh, seasonal foods are less expensive
2. Energy – less gas used to transport food
Eat local and support:
1. Local growers – buying local boosts local revenue
2. YOUR HEALTH - fresh, seasonal foods are more flavorful, encouraging increased intake of fresh fruits and veggies, which increases your intake of healthy vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that fight disease and promote health
Other local farmers’ markets include:
• Tuesdays: 9:30 am – 2 pm until October 20 at the Country Club Mall (center court), LaVale
• Thursdays: 9:30 am – 2 pm until October 15 at the Downtown Cumberland Pedestrian Mall on Baltimore Street, Cumberland
• Fridays: 9:30 am – 1 pm until October 16 at Frostburg City Place 20 South Water Street, Frostburg
• Saturdays: 9:30 am – 2 pm until October 17 at Canal Place in Cumberland
• 1st Tuesday of each month from 4-6 pm until October 13 at St. Johns Lutheran Church, 406 Arch Street, South Cumberland
For more information about shopping at farmers markets and to find locations near you, visit www.localharvest.org/ or http://search.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/