March is just around the corner and begins the month-long celebration of National Nutrition Month. National Nutrition Month (NNM) is an annual nutrition education campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). This year’s theme, Put Your Best Fork Forward, reminds us that every bite counts. At home, at work, or in restaurants, the choices you make influence your health – one bite or one forkful at a time.
Small improvements in food choices add up over time. Progress, not perfection, is what matters most. Here are some tips from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
1. Eat meals together as a family.
2. Fill half your plate with vegetables and fruit.
3. Make at least half of your grain choices whole grain.
4. Talk positively about eating healthy food and try new foods prepared in new
5. Work with a registered dietitian nutritionist to help you establish
personalized nutrition goals.
For more information, including recipes and videos, visit http://www.eatright.org/resource/food/resources/national-nutrition-month/national-nutrition-month.
The WMHS Food and Nutrition Department will be celebrating National Nutrition Month with the following special events:
1. Coloring contest for children ages 2-12 (details will be announced)
2. Lunch and Learn Cooking Demos on March 2 and March 23 at 12: 15 in the WMHS Auditoriums. To register, call Elizabeth Kauruter, RDN, LDN at 240-964-2312.
3. Pay Day Display in the WMHS cafeteria, featuring nutrition information, recipes, snack samples, and infused water
4. National Nutrition Month gift baskets - enter to win when buying fruits and vegetables in the WMHS cafeteria
Visit the Western Maryland Health System's Facebook page to view videos about healthy eating.
Allegany College of MD and the Western Maryland Health System will be hosting a bus trip to Wegman's grocery store in Frederick, MD on April 29. Theresa Stahl, RDN, LDN will be sharing nutrition information on the drive down and back. Registration is through Allegany College of Maryland’s Continuing Education Department at 301-784-5341.
Contact Theresa Stahl, RDN, LDN, to learn more about any of these nutrition programs, including Change to Win, nutrition and weight loss program beginning in April at 240-964-8416 or firstname.lastname@example.org.